Your rights and further information
UK/Europe – GDPR
If you live in the United Kingdom or Europe, you have the following rights in relation to the personal data we hold about you:
- Access – you can ask us for a copy of any personal information that we hold about you. You can make a “data subject access request” (DSAR) by emailing our data protection team at email@example.com. Please title your email as “DSAR Request” and provide the following details: your name; the email address to which your data is likely to be associated (this may be different to the address you are contacting us on); your subscription number or other ID number (this will help us to identify your account, and prepare your data for disclosure quicker); and details of the specific information you would like to receive. A copy of your data will be provided electronically and we will send you instructions on how to securely access this by email. If you require a hard copy of your data, please just let us know.
- Withdrawal of consent - where you have given us your consent to process your personal data for a particular purpose (or purposes), you can withdraw this permission at any time by letting us know – either by clicking “unsubscribe” in our e-newsletters and marketing emails, or by emailing our data protection team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Objection – you can tell us that you object to the processing of your personal data where, for example, we are using it for direct marketing purposes, or we are processing it on the grounds of “legitimate interests” (see above) and you feel it impacts on your rights in a negative way. If we feel we have compelling reason to carry on this processing we will let you know, otherwise we will no longer use it for that purpose.
- Deletion – we use reasonable efforts to delete your data when we no longer need it (see “How long we hold your information for” ). However, you can also ask us to delete your personal data from our records in certain circumstances - for example, where you have withdrawn your consent for us to use it (see above). Data deletion, or “Right to Be Forgotten”, requests can be made by emailing email@example.com. In some circumstances, deleting your data from our records may result in the cancellation of subscriptions or other services – we will let you know if this is the case so that you can consider your options. If we are unable to comply with your request for legal reasons, we will tell you this.
- Corrections – we use reasonable efforts to keep personal information we hold about you up to date, but you can request that we amend any inaccurate or incomplete personal data that we hold.
- Restriction – you can request that we suspend the processing of your personal data where, for example, you object to our processing of it (see below) or while we correct any inaccuracies.
- Transfer – you can ask for any personal data you have previously provided to us to be transferred to you in a usable electronic format, or to a third party (where this is technically feasible), so you can use it elsewhere.
We try to respond to all legitimate requests as quickly as possible, and in any event within one month -unless your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests, in which case it may take longer. If this is the case, we will keep you updated.
California – California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
If you live in California, you have the following rights in relation to any personal data we hold about you. Please note, these rights are not absolute, and in certain cases we may not be in a position to comply with your request.
- Access: You have the right to request access to the personal data we’ve been holding about you for the past twelve months and we must comply with requests within forty-five days. In practice, we will usually be able to provide data beyond 12 months and respond to your request within one month, as we do for our UK/European users. Please note that requested data will be sent to you electronically. Please see “Your Rights: UK/Europe – GDPR” for details on how to make an access request.
- Deletion: Similar to UK and European users, you have the right to ask us to delete personal data we may hold about you. Please see “Your Rights: UK/Europe – GDPR” for details on how to make a deletion request.
- Right to Opt-Out of Sale of Personal Data: We may share your data with third parties in the following circumstances, which California law classifies as a “sale” of your personal data:
- sharing your data with third parties with your express consent (e.g. where you opt in to receive third party marketing or where you have requested to be contacted by a third party);
- with third-party marketing partners for commercial use, including for digital and programmatic advertising purposes; and
- supplying attendee data to third parties who provide services in connection with our events, and sending your data to suppliers of certain products and services (where you have consented to hear from such third parties).
If you’d like to opt-out of any of the above uses of data, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Non-Discrimination: We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your California Consumer Privacy Act rights.
We will deal with requests for access to your personal data within forty-five (45) days for California-specific requests.
To help us respond as you expect, please specify that you are making a request under the California Consumer Privacy Act or CCPA. We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity.