How and why we use your personal data
We may use your information for a number of purposes, depending on how and where we receive it. We will always do so on a lawful basis, which will normally be one of the following justifications
We may use your information for a number of purposes, depending on why we receive it. We will always do so in one or more of the lawful ways set out here:
We will explain why we would like to use your data, and ask for your permission (consent) to do this. For example, where:
- we would like to send you e-newsletters, or special offers and/or promotions from the service you are using/brand you have purchased (which may also feature relevant offers from our business partners) and/or the Immediate Group. We will send you these messages by email and/or push notification (where applicable and permitted by your app store);
- we would like to pass your information to carefully selected organisations to allow them to tell you about their special offers or products and services that may be of interest to you;
- we process more sensitive “special categories” of personal data about you, such as your health;
- we require information about an individual under the age of 18 in your care for any purpose (including running a competition, organising an event, or publishing photographs of, or artwork created by, that child); and
Where our processing of your information is based on your consent, you can withdraw this consent at any time by emailing email@example.com, by changing your account settings if you have an online account with us, or by changing your website browser or mobile device settings in relation to cookies (you can learn how to do that in our Cookies Policy.
You will also be given a straightforward way to opt out of our emails each time you receive a communication from us – an unsubscribe button will appear in the footer of all of our e-newsletters and marketing emails. Please note that it may take up to two weeks to implement changes to your preferences.
To perform our contract with you
We need to use your personal data to provide you with the product or service you have ordered. For example, we will do this:
- to meet product orders, requests for services or information and to process payments and any other requests you make of us;
- if we need to contact you for reasons related to the service you have signed up for e.g. to provide you with password reminders, to inform you of new or improved benefits relating to the product or service, or to notify you that a particular service has been suspended for maintenance;
- to tell you about changes to our services;
- to manage our competitions and contact the winners; and
- to enable other people or businesses to carry out work on our behalf.
Sometimes we will use your personal data for specific purposes we have carefully considered, taking into account any potential impact on you and your rights, where it will help us to enhance the services we provide and benefit our customers. This may include:
- sending you editorial or promotional messages or email in relation to products and services similar to those you’ve previously purchased from us, (unless you’ve asked us not to);
- to personalise or improve our communications with you. For example, we may use your purchase or booking history with us to provide you with tailored information about other products or services which are more likely to be of interest to you (unless you’ve asked us not to);
- for statistical and analytical purposes, to help us understand our audiences, improve the products and services we offer, and to determine the price we should charge for digital advertising;
- to contact you about a submission or contribution you have made to our websites, message boards or magazines, including any content you provide;
- to invite you to participate in surveys about our services (participation is always voluntary), in order to help us improve these in future;
- to keep our records up to date, including any correspondence or communications between us;
- to administer and protect our business and websites (including troubleshooting, system maintenance, testing, reporting etc);
- to contact you by phone and/or post with details of special offers or promotions that we think may be of interest to you, where we have explained this when we collect your information and you have not opted-out of receiving such messages. We may also contact you about renewing your subscription when this has lapsed. Please note we will not contact you for these reasons if you are registered with the Telephone Preference Service (for phone) or Mailing Preference Service (for mail);
- for management and auditing of our business (including the preparation of statistics about circulation and usage of our products);
- to investigate and protect against fraudulent, unauthorised, or illegal activity; and
- providing your information to buyers in the event of a sale or potential sale of any member of the Immediate Group (or any of our assets) to a third party.
Where we process your information based on our legitimate business interests, you may object to this at any time and we will stop using it for that purpose unless we have compelling legitimate grounds or other legal reason for continuing to use it. Please see “Your rights” for further information.
We are entitled to process your personal information where we are under a legal or regulatory obligation to do so.