We may use your information for a number of purposes, depending on how and where we receive it. We will always do so in one or more of the lawful ways set out here:
We will set out why we would like to use your data, and ask for your permission to do this. For example, we will do this where:
- we would like to send you carefully selected newsletters, special offers and/or promotions from the service you are using/title you have purchased (which may also feature relevant offers from our business partners) and/or the Immediate Media Company group by email and/or push notification (where applicable and permitted by the app store you use);
- we would like to pass your information to carefully selected organisations to allow them to tell you about their special offers or products and services that may be of interest to you;
- we process “special categories” of personal data about you, such as your health; and
Where our processing of your information is based on your consent, you can withdraw this consent at any time using the details in the “How to contact us” section, by changing your account settings if you have an online account with us, or by changing your website browser or mobile device settings in relation to cookies. You will also be given a straightforward way to opt out of our marketing messages each time you receive a communication from us. Please note that it may take up to two weeks to implement changes to your preferences.
To perform our contract with you
In some circumstances we will need to use your information to help us provide you with the product or service you have ordered. For example, we will do this:
- to meet product orders, requests for services or information and to process payments and any other requests you make of us;
- if we need to contact you for reasons related to the service you have signed up for e.g. to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service has been suspended for maintenance;
- to tell you about changes to our service;
- to manage our competitions and contact the winners; and
- to enable other people or businesses to carry out work on our behalf.
Sometimes we will use your information for specific purposes we have carefully considered, taking into account any potential impact on you and your rights, where it will help us to enhance the services we provide and benefit our customers. This may include:
- to personalise or improve our communications with you. For example, we may use your purchase or booking history with us to provide you with tailored information about other products or services which are more likely to be of interest to you;
- for statistical and analytical purposes, in order to help us understand our audiences, improve the products and services we offer, and to determine the price we should charge for digital advertising;
- to contact you about a submission or contribution you have made to our websites, message boards or magazines, including any content you provide;
- to invite you to participate in surveys about our services (participation is always voluntary), in order to help us improve these in future;
- to keep our records up to date, including any correspondence or communications between us;
- to administer and protect our business and websites (including troubleshooting, system maintenance, testing, reporting etc);
- to contact you by phone and/or post with details of special offers or promotions that we think may be of interest to you, where we have explained this when we collect your information and you have not opted-out of receiving such messages. We may also contact you about renewing your subscription when this has lapsed. Please note we will not contact you for these reasons if you are registered with the Telephone Preference Service (for phone) or Mailing Preference Service (for mail);
- for management and auditing of our business (including the preparation of statistics about circulation and usage of our products);
- to investigate and protect against fraudulent, unauthorised, or illegal activity; and
- providing your information to buyers in the event of a sale or potential sale of Immediate or any member of the Immediate group (or any of our assets) to a third party.
Where we process your information based on legitimate interest grounds, you may object to this at any time and we will stop using it for that purpose unless we have compelling legitimate grounds or other legal reason for continuing to use it. Please see “What rights do I have?” for further information.
We are entitled to process your personal information where we are under a legal or regulatory obligation to do so.